Saturday 4 March 2017

Digital Autobiography

I often wonder how much knowledge is out there. The fact that men like Mark Zuckerberg can just turn an idea, like Facebook into something massive is incredible (Business Insider). How much more ideas can be turned into something that helps so much people around the whole world connect; talk to each other face to face through video calls, send instant messages, upload family or holiday photos online and generally share memories and spend time with people across the globe any time of day.

When we first moved into Australia 20 years ago, I had so much trouble getting in touch with my family and friends back home as quickly as I had hoped. I actually put pen to paper and wrote letters, then after posting it I had wait weeks to get a response. Thinking back, I laugh at how much patience I actually had back then. I guess we have to cope and adapt with the resources and capabilities that we have, right? Even so, it was a great feeling, checking my mailbox and seeing an airmail envelope addressed to me. I could never wait to read my letter so I used to always start opening the envelope as I walk through the door!

Nowadays, it’s so easy to send a message by Messenger to my sister in Canada as soon as I open my eyes. How awesome is it to be able to celebrate my relatives’ birthdays with them through video chats (Age UK)? In saying that, I would actually call myself a laggard when it comes to being socially active, compared to younger people in today’s society, where 95% of teens are online; 90% of teens are on Facebook; and 70% of teens spend almost 17 hours a week online (Socially Active). I didn’t join Facebook until 2009 and even then I wasn’t so sure if it was a good idea. I was cautious of hackers and of people finding out about what I’m up to that I didn’t start sharing photos or events in my life until after the following year.

Since then, I don’t think a day passes by without me picking up my phone and going on Facebook to check out what my friends are up to or what photos my families abroad have posted. Although I’m a bit of a passive participant as I usually click on my Facebook friends’ posts or photos but only sometimes do I like or comment on them, I still love how we can all keep in touch with what’s going on in our lives. The scary part though is how much information is actually out there about our lives that others have access to and can use to their advantage and at our expense, just like the movie, Eagle Eye (YouTube).


I now wonder how others have used social media like Facebook; as a tool to connect with people or as a means to steal someone else’s identity...



References

Age Scotland

Business Insider

Socially Active

Youtube

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mayz, sorry I missed your post in Facebook, thanks for the nudge. You are right, its amazing really how much our ability to communicate across the world has changed over time. I wonder if you could go deeper into time and/or distance and explore the implications of quicker, global communications e.g. was it more meaningful to spend the time writing a letter and waiting for a reply? Does being able to keep in touch more easily reduce/erase th eneed to meet in person e.g. http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/07256860802169196

    There's lots of research in this space - have a look at week 3 learning activities for finding academic sources of information.

    The Pew Research Centre is also a good source for statistics - I couldn't see where Social Active had got their figures from.

    Looking forward to reading more :)

    ReplyDelete